QPCO is a practitioner-led, voluntary community of Qualified Persons (QPs) in Ontario.
The Ontario Environment Industry Association (ONEIA) board, responding to the concerns of its member companies and other organizations/stakeholder groups in the Brownfields and Excess Soils area, has struck a Working Group to bring together those defined as Qualified Persons (QPs) in Ontario to discuss the challenges they face, to create a basic online directory, explore training opportunities, and identify advocacy and engagement opportunities with regulators, stakeholders and the public. While the Working Group is initially operating with support from ONEIA, members of the group are not required to be members of ONEIA or ONEIA member companies. The working name for this group is the Qualified Persons Community of Ontario (QPCO).
Who is a QP?
A qualified person, other than risk assessment (QPESA)
5(2) A person meets the qualifications to be a qualified person…if,
- The person holds a licence, limited licence or temporary licence under the Professional Engineers Act; or
- The person holds a certificate of registration under the Professional Geoscientist Act, 2000 and is a practising member, temporary member or limited member of the Association of Professional Geoscientist of Ontario of Ontario.
A qualified person, for risk assessment (QPRA)
6. (1) A person meets the qualifications to be a qualified person for the purposes of section 168.1 of the Act in relation to the preparation or supervision of a risk assessment if,
(a) the person holds a bachelor’s degree in science, engineering or applied technology from a post-secondary institution; (b) the person has experience in the conduct or supervision of environmental site assessments, or in the conduct, supervision or review of assessment of risk described in clause (c), or in any combination of both, as follows:
(i) if the person holds a doctoral degree in science or engineering from a university, five years’ experience,
(ii) if the person holds a master’s degree in science or engineering from a university, seven years’ experience,
(iii) in any other case, eight years’ experience; and
(c) within the period of experience required by clause (b), the person has two years’ experience,
(i) in the conduct or supervision of an assessment of risk, or
(ii) in the technical or scientific review of an assessment of risk on behalf of a public authority. O. Reg. 153/04, s. 6 (1).
The QPCO is intended to support QPs working in the brownfields or excess soils sector in Ontario (as defined in O.Reg. 153/04). Although membership may be accepted and included, the focus of this group is not intended for QPs from the hydrogeology and hydrology sector as defined/recognized under the Ontario Permit to Take Water. Additionally, this group is not intended for QPs from the mining sector as defined/recognized under National Instrument 43-101.
- We are committed to integrity and maintaining public trust.
- We are committed to supporting professionals that want to improve their quality of practice.
- We are committed to valuing diversity and inclusion.
- We are committed to providing a forum for the discussion and exchange of ideas among QPs.
- The QPCO is intended to support QPs working in the Brownfields or Excess Soils sector in Ontario (as defined in O.Reg. 153/04). Although participation may be accepted and included, the focus of this group is not intended for QPs from the hydrogeology and hydrology sector as defined/recognized under the Ontario Permit to Take Water. Additionally, this group is not intended for QPs from the mining sector as defined/recognized under National Instrument 43-101. Qualified Person for the purposes of QPCO applies to QPs as defined under O. Reg. 153/04.
- QPCO will not licence or certify QPs, regulate their practice or play any role in assuring their clients or the public as to their qualifications or professionalism. Any issues with QP’s found through the QPCO should be directed to the appropriate regulatory or oversight body (PEO, PGO or MECP).
- QPCO does not guarantee the quality or nature of the work performed by QPs listed on the directory. The directory is only a listing of those persons who have provided their information for inclusion. The QPCO does not verify that those listed are QPs within the definition of O. Reg, 153/04.
- The directory is not a comprehensive listing of all QPs in Ontario. This is a listing of those who have paid to be listed with QPCO.
- Contact information in the directory is provided by the Qualified Persons themselves. QPCO make no guarantees, representations or warranties regarding the information provided.”
This initiative is administered by:
Delivered in partnership with: